YOU ARE AT:BusinessZTE revises down Q1 results after considering U.S. ban

ZTE revises down Q1 results after considering U.S. ban

ZTE lost $790 million in Q1 due to the impact of the ban

Chinese network infrastructure vendor ZTE has issued a revised earnings report for the first quarter of the year that puts quarterly losses at more than CNY 5.4 billion ($790 million) after taking into account a recent ban imposed by the U.S. government.

The vendor had previously reported a net profit of CNY 1.69 billion for the first three months of 2018, compared with a net profit of CNY 1.2 billion in the year-ago period. Revenue increased 6.9% on year to CNY 27.5 billion.

In its update, the company said it had booked about CNY 6.7 billion in non-operating expenses as a result of the U.S. ban, which temporarily blocked U.S. suppliers from sending components to ZTE.

Executives also reiterated guidance it issued earlier this month that said it expects a net loss in the CNY 7 billion t CNY 9 billion range for the first half of the year, versus a net profit of CNY 2.29 billion a year earlier.

That seven-year ban had been imposed by the Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) in March this year after the vendor allegedly did not live up to the terms of an agreement that had been worked out after it illegally shipped telecom equipment to Iran and North Korea. As a consequence of the ban, ZTE was not able to buy U.S-made components, which had forced the Chinese firm to suspend trading and cease all business operations.

Earlier this month, the Trump administration formally lifted the ban on U.S. companies selling components and software to  the company after it complied with all the requirements of a settlement agreed to in June.

On July 13, Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross announced that ZTE had placed $400 million in escrow at a U.S. bank.  Shortly after the deposit, the Department lifted the denial order on ZTE. The escrow funds are in addition to the $1 billion penalty imposed by Commerce that ZTE paid to the U.S. Treasury last month.

The DoC said that the $1.4 billion paid under the new settlement agreement are in addition to the $892 million in penalties ZTE has already paid to the U.S government under a March 2017 settlement agreement.

Under the current settlement agreement, ZTE will also be required to retain a team of special compliance coordinators selected by and answerable to the Department of Commerce’s BIS for a period of 10 years. This team will monitor on a real-time basis ZTE’s compliance with U.S. export control laws.

ABOUT AUTHOR

Juan Pedro Tomás
Juan Pedro Tomás
Juan Pedro covers Global Carriers and Global Enterprise IoT. Prior to RCR, Juan Pedro worked for Business News Americas, covering telecoms and IT news in the Latin American markets. He also worked for Telecompaper as their Regional Editor for Latin America and Asia/Pacific. Juan Pedro has also contributed to Latin Trade magazine as the publication's correspondent in Argentina and with political risk consultancy firm Exclusive Analysis, writing reports and providing political and economic information from certain Latin American markets. He has a degree in International Relations and a master in Journalism and is married with two kids.

Editorial Reports

White Papers

Webinars

Featured Content