YOU ARE AT:Archived ArticlesINTERCEL WILL SELL MAINE CELLULAR HOLDINGS TO FIRM

INTERCEL WILL SELL MAINE CELLULAR HOLDINGS TO FIRM

WEST POINT, Ga.-InterCel Inc. said it has a definitive agreement to sell Unity Cellular Systems Inc. and its Maine holdings to Rural Cellular Corp.

InterCel bought into Bangor-based Unity, called Unicel, in January 1994.

Unicel service covers a population of more than 512,000 in an area extending from Maine’s central coastline to the northeastern region of the state. The contiguous area includes the Bangor metropolitan statistical area, Maine rural service area 3, including the city of Augusta, and Maine RSA 2.

Unicel’s coverage area represents a 51 percent interest in the Northern Maine Cellular Partnership; the other 49 percent is owned by Bell Atlantic Nynex Mobile.

InterCel said the acquisition is expected to be completed in the second quarter.

The company said money from the sale will be channeled into Powertel Inc., the InterCel subsidiary that is building personal communications service networks in several of the country’s major markets.

InterCel contineus to operate cellular networks in western Georgia and eastern Alabama.

West Point, Ga.-based Powertel is licensed to provide PCS in a contiguous coverage cluster including markets in the states of Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and Florida.

ABOUT AUTHOR

Editorial Reports

White Papers

Webinars

Featured Content