Welcome to the weekly wrap-up of everything in the world of cell tower companies. We cover top-level industry stories, DAS, and regional/local news.
Cell tower radiation: it’s a topic that has concerned communities for as long as towers have existed. It even shapes debates on whether towns will accept new towers in close proximity to their homes or schools. This week the results of two studies on tower radiation have been released, with wildly different conclusions! Which one to believe?
In addition, the Dallas Cowboys have outfitted their AT&T stadium with 3 huge rooms full of DAS equipment to give fans an added signal boost on game day. Read these stories and more at the links below:
- Well that’s a relief! A comprehensive new study shows no no harmful effects from cell tower radiation and WiFi equipment radiation.
- However, a study in India found just the opposite–that it caused memory loss and hearing impairment.
- Ever wondered what the world would look like if you could see cell tower radiation? Wonder no longer!
- CommScope offers suggestions on how to make a standardized tower top.
- CommScope agreed to sell certain BiMetals assets to Copperweld Bimetallics; its Statesville, NC site will close.
- Inside Towers’ latest blog takes a look at why officials are using fake cell towers to access information.
- Former tower climber Wade is back with a new blog about the merits of working as a team to achieve safety on a work site.
- Remember when we reported on copper thefts from cell towers earlier this year? Mounted video cameras have now been used to bring some of these thieves to justice.
- GME Supply Company has an informative video about fall protection rescue kits for tower climbers.
- Light Reading posted an interesting cell tower photo, asking their audience to write a caption for it. The results are pretty funny.
- The Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium is now wireless with a huge new DAS system.
- 5 Bars Inside will be the official DAS provider for MLB Angel Stadium of Anaheim.
- Corning says it has its DAS systems in over 50 large sports venues.
- The Toronto subway launched a wireless system featuring PCTEL, MIMO antennas.
- The Florida Wireless Association has posted details of its 2014 Kick-off Happy Hour .
- The California Wireless Association has posted details of a Northern California Mixer.
- The Nebraska-Iowa Wireless Association posted details on its upcoming Wireless On Wheels (WOW) event.
- AT&T drops cell tower proposal in Olympia, Washington’s northeast neighborhood.
- An AT&T proposal for a cell tower on San Diego, California’s Bernardo Mountain has been rejected.
- American Tower has proposed a new cell tower in Wilmington, North Carolina.
- Middlefield, Connecticut officials are closing in on an offer from a regional cell tower company that plans to offer additional carriers to local residents.
- Cell tower appeals in Hilton Head, South Carolina have been delayed until January.
- Greenacres, Florida has approved a new cell tower at Ira Van Bullock Park.
- Commissioner poised to ok new cell tower regulations in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
- San Marcos, California city officials have unveiled new, strict cell tower rules.
- Vertical Consultants welcomes Atlanta area company, Compass Self-Storage, to its roster of self-storage cell tower lease clients.